View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There's so many factors involved in the buy/no buy decision...

My decision tree, for what it's worth, starts with the title; I tend to just skim the shelves (real or virtual). If the title catches my eye, I'll look to the author, the promo blurb, and *then* the price. Samples don't really factor in it for me 'cause I've run into too many "three-chapter rip-offs" to give samples much credit.

That said, I don't see an inherent issue at US$7.99, regardless of pedigree.
(I'm assuming the story is fiction--cause for current affairs/non-fiction pedigree really matters. But that's a matter of authority not quality.)

Me, if a story intrigues me enough to read, I'm not going to sweat the difference between $4 or $8 or even $20.
The way I see it: I'm not a speed reader so when you get down to it, the biggest investment I put into reading a book is my *time*.
(My personal boycott of the price-fix five is not over the price but the principle. I've bought $16 ebooks before, I'll do it again. But not at gunpoint.)

So, as far as I'm concerned, the availability of a sample (large or small) has no valid linkage to the price.

I do see a linkage, however, between sample size and the publisher's (or author's, in the case of self-published works) confidence in the product's worth. A big sample suggests *to me* they're not sure the story will grab you with a smaller sample. And if the sample is a significant chunk of the total product it would lead me to think it probably needs work.

Add-in a price out of line with the retailer and/or genre and I'd guess the author/publisher doesn't understand the business. Doesn't mean they're greedy (that word gets used waaayyy too much on forums the 'net over) just inexperienced/misinformed.

Fair'nough?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote