View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
So how does "unreleased beta software" get out there, pray tell? These people are stating that it appeared via automatic update, which should certainly be under Kobo's control.
This isn't "unreleased beta software". It is is released for a certain environment. Up until yesterday, it was assumed to be only for the Japanese environment. But, apparently, it is being put on certain non-Japanese devices. My guess is that it is going on devices with a particular hardware level and that the Japanese got these first.
Quote:

If pirated versions are the issue, I'd say those who pirate it and load onto unsupported devices are on their own, and don't get forum support at all. The warning, in that case, is beyond the call of duty, IMHO.
I wouldn't call it pirated, but someone worked out the source site for the update and published it. All the people here, including me, wanted to play with it and hence talk about it. I am fine with that, but the complaining about problems with it if you weren't one of the target audience are another thing.

I don't think that Kobo has acknowledged the existence of the firmware before this thread. And I think they mainly did because of the roll-out to another part of the market.
Quote:

I'm just hoping that by the time I can get a Mini in the U.S. things will settle down, stabilize, and actually work without obvious bugs for a while.

After all, we're not exactly talking about the level of difficulty of testing windows on every PC ever shipped. Kobo "owns" all the hardware and all of the software, and should be capable of making it work, along with the update mechanism..
Based on what I have seen elsewhere, the firmware is settling down and will be ready. I hope it gets release a week or so ahead of the new devices so that exiting Touch users can install it without impacting the new users.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote