View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #61
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
T
But the thing I like about the article is that it acknowledges that every screen type has it's pros and cons for reading.

Something the "if it glows it blows" crowd here doesn't seem to acknowledge. All have their pros and cons, and what's best for you will depend on your typical reading conditions, what you need out of your device etc.

I love my Kindle, but I get annoyed to death with all the "if it glows it blows nonsense" and saying devices like the iPad can't be used as readers because of the screen tech.
Hear, hear! I've been using a Dell XPS with a 13inch backlit LED screen for about a year. It's quite a nice screen, and when I'm writing and using references (I'm a postgrad) it's ideal to be able to flip between articles, books and the document that I'm writing. What it's not so good for is simply reading for extended periods. Not just the screen but the form factor restrict how long and where I can read. I'm about to take delivery of my first reader (IREX 800), which, I hope will give me the flexibility and staying power for extended periods of reading. But the point is that both devices still have their, complementary, uses.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote