View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Ebs, then if I compile with ELDK, the result will run in a Kindle?

Can you answer to those quesions?
1.- What "toolkit" they use to print to screen?
2.- How do you save and debug your modified programs? Compile, put in internal storage and then reboot?
3.- Do you have a way to have network and internal memory at same time?
4.- Have you identified how to deal with buttons?
5.- Are you doing any kind of content browser or similar?

Thanks in advance...
1) They use Java micro edition + AWT microwindows port, it seems. Actual eInk access is done through stdandard Linux framebuffer device.
2) If I just want to run some new stuff, e.g. small C program, then I just compile it with a cross compiler (ARM ELDK), copy it to the Kindle using scp, and run it using one of the ssh sessions. If I want to replace some of UI stuff (e.g. my screensaver hack), I replace some classes in one of standard JAR files, replace it on Kindle (again using scp to copy it) and then restart UI (/etc/init.d/framework restart). There is no need to reboot anything.
3) I'm not sure what you are asking here. You cannot have USB network and USB mass storage at the same time, but it's not really needed. When you have the network, you can easily copy files to/from Kindle
4) You have to reverse engineer Java stuff, as far as I can tell, keyboard events are handled in standard AWT way. At the low level - it's just standard Linux event interface, nothing fancy.
5) No
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote