View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Proposal for a Content Browser with Folders

Hello all.

I'm a C/C++ developer and I compromise myself and in public to create a native application for both Kindle devices (2 and DX).

However I need some help. I'm a Windows guy that sometimes do firmware with no OS. However I've done some Kiosk mode apps in Linux, then I think I'm able to build a Content Browser if I got some help from the comunity.

I'm not a script or java guy and those stuff makes me headache and I'm not a seasoned linux developer. I can, for example, with a lot of effort, get installed a distro and being able to work with it (I was a Slackware man, then a Debianite and after that a Gentooza boy -only as normal user with some difficulties on get working my system). By the way I hate scripts, I hate perl, php, python, java...

My idea can be resumed in some steps:
  • Someone has to build a development environment for develop native Kindle apps from a Windows (or Linux into a vmWare virtual machine) cross environment. I can help in get gcc and other dev tools working but I can't help in build the other stuff because I do not know enough linux (and I don't want to know more).
  • Someone has to make the scripts to connect my app with Kindle internals and so.
  • Then I will put seriously to develop the content browser.
The CB (Content Browser) first version will be a file manager that will recognize Kindle files and will launch the desired viewer. A second version will open each file and inspect the metadata in order to be able to sort other way than by folder. It will have a plugin system (perhaps a text file with the description of the characteristics) to be able to add some other file types in order to give the possibility to read other formats (PDF, FB2 came to my mind). That's my current compromise.

Future possible stuff could be other viewers etc.

To not break Kindle, I think CB will be in public area (/mnt/us/programs for example) and the boot code script will search for a cb program or script in that folder and if not present, launch the original Amazon CB. Then the installation patch only will modify that init script and will be easly undone to accept official upgrades. This stuff are the things that I need someone do for me.

My CB will upgrade itself if it finds some kind of upgrade file. It will be capable to launch the original amazon CB, and launch the original Amazon mobi viewer when opening the AZW and MOBI files.

That's my proposal. All code will be GPL 3.0, and all MUST be documented.

Tasks to do in first term:
- Build a dev environment.
- Build a patch to change the default CB
- Build a patch to change the default CB and enable USB terminal (to debug).
- Build a system to be able to copy via terminar or other way in order to avoid copy new version, reboot Kindle and then debug.
- Generate a tiny documentation of development APIs available (what libraries are available, etc).
- Investigate how to put stuff in screen.
- Some artwork.
- The CB itself.

Well, this is my proposal. Coments and volunteers are welcome.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote