View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is why you should never trust auto cleanup and always take care of your S&R. It can go horribly wrong.
Actually...

This has happened to me. And damned if I know why. I don't believe I was S&R'ing, but...I was working on a file, very short, simple. After I had finished it, I split it into its designated "chapters." For reasons I can't quite fathom, (and, yes: Tidy is never turned on), when I tried to go to BookView, I got an "unresolved error" warning, and then...kablammo, the file was truncated. Content simply disappeared, ala Ye Olden PSO'D (Ye Olden Pink Screen O'Death, for you noobs). I was pretty gobsmacked. And, yes, I then had unresolved links in the ncx, because of course, content had gone MIA.

My comprehension of what happened was that somehow, after doing a simple s&R (not regex), an element did not have a closing tag. When I attempted to go to bookview, I got the error, and the inquiry "clean it or do it manually?" I said manually, but when I got the file "back," half of it was simply GONE, with the big honking pink error message.

I replaced the original (not altered) html content from the source file (pre-sigil) and repaired it the long way round, but honestly--still not quite sure what made it go "hinky." (Wombat: bad, smelly, something rotten. Twisted. ="Hinky.") I stared at it for a while, but never did figure out what made it go bats**t. This happened about 3 times in a row, and I don't know what triggered it, other than an unclosed element that I could not find, but, more importantly, that I was not able to fix manually. When I chose "fix manually," the content had been "cleaned." (And had disappeared). But Tidy is OFF.

So, yes: I've had the PSO'D again, now in the latest version of Sigil. Win7, running the 32-bit version, as there isn't one for those of us with 64.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote