View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #96
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I have no problems with adults reading YA literature. After all, I myself read such titles occasionally (and sometimes like them). What I don't like is the mania and obsession surrounding some of these titles and the reaction towards those who don't. Just take a look at the negative reviews for the Hunger Games at goodreads and the following backlash.

It is one thing to say "I read the Hunger Games and enjoyed it", it is a totally different claim that the Hunger Games is a literature of the highest quality, with an original plot and complex characters. And there are people who make such claims. In my opinion they either don't read much, or have fallen for the craze. This is not something that goes only with YA bestsellers - I remember something similar with the Da Vinci's Code (I can see how someone can enjoy it for its entertainment value, but there were people who touted it as philosophical and thought-provoking), though it never reached such proportions.

It is also a related, but a somewhat different question of whether the much hyped titles from the YA genre in the latter years are really that good when compared to other titles from the same genre which only get a fraction of the attention. I think not. But the reasons why some get all the attention, and others not, are beyond me. It's not always the quality of the writing, this I can tell.

Last edited by slex; 05-01-2012 at 04:23 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote