View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
Moxie Mezcal
Human Fly
Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad
I strongly endorse Twitter, it's a much freer exchange of ideas than Facebook, MySpace, etc, much more like a conversation than one-way self-promotion (to an audience that may be more imagined than not). There's a ready-made and rapidly growing-network of people interested in ebooks & online fiction for you to tap into, including independent writers, book reviewers, publishing professionals, and of course readers - both locally and internationally. The only word of caution is that it's a much different setup than Facebook or MySpace, so if that's what you're used to, it may take some time to adapt and learn how to use it effectively.

I think press releases/press kits are a good exercise for writers because they force you to "sell" your work quickly and concisely. Just keep in mind that they are going to be much more effective on the local level to get you in community weeklies or alternative weeklies, but won't materialize coverage in a metropolitan daily unless you already have some level of notoriety.

Goodreads is a great site, but difficult to use primarily as a self-promotion tool; I find it more conducive to talking about other works that you like rather than building an audience of your own (although the two are not mutually exclusive by any means). It's good to sign up for, but should be used in conjunction with other efforts.
Moxie Mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote