View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #183
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
The KDX appears wonderful for reading PDFs, newspapers and so forth...but I question how useful it will be as an academic solution. $500 will purchase a netbook - I read (fiction) ebooks using my Eee 4G 7" with the backlight turned very low, for hours (I am in my 50s and wear glasses for reading) with no eyestrain problem. A netbook has much additional functionality, and a 10" size with a 6-8 hrs battery would provide a student with day-long use.

Also, most universitys use some sort of internet-based course management system to provide notes, interaction and other electronic content to/from students - the Kindle would not address this requirement - so the student would have to purchase 2 devices? Ouch.

A dual-display (eink + backlight) tablet/netbook/laptop would be ideal in an academic environment. It doesn't seem that the Kindle DX will provide enough functionality for that particular market segment.

I will find it very interesting to see what happens as the university trials roll-out this coming year.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote