View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #76
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You say it's not ethical, but don't tell us why you think so. That makes a discussion kind of difficult.

But with regard to it being good publicity for the book, how? Remember, we're talking about a situation where the person already owns the book on dead trees. If they're going to tell all their friends to read it (which probably sells more books than the fanciest marketing campaign), wouldn't they have already told them to read the paper version? Who says "I wasn't going to tell you how great this thing called 'Harry Potter' is when I first bought it, but now that I have it as a badly-scanned electronic copy, I can't wait to talk about it"?
OK.

It is unethical because the work on the book, as we are with you well know, takes time and effort. Often, even more than work in any other place. But it's not the point.
We do not think that we'll get a free meal at a restaurant just because we are hungry? So what's the difference?

Turning to the second part of your message - yes, this question is not an easy one. It is hard to deny your right about good marketing, but I am talking about this: piracy is not ethical in some circumstances and very unethical in others.
But this raises another question. Not about the ethics, but about profit. And it seems to me to be solved, rather, consistent with the specific situation. Someone is using to advertise my blog. Someone is trying to take the maximum number of trading sites. And so on.
By the way, and you are sure that we are talking about ethics?
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote