View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
1: I don't have a 1gig SD card and can't find any place that sells them. Will a 2gig SD card work if I format it first? It's supposed to be a workable solution according to the BeBook forums but not sure if it's different with OI.
OpenInkpot is loaded onto the BeBook by the bootloader that is a permanent part of all the Hanlin clones, so what works for one firmware works for all firmware. I use a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD (NOT SDHC) card to update BeBook and/or OpenInkpot firmware. The reason that a 1GB card is recommended is that the Hanlin bootloader only has a 1GB address range. With a 2GB SD (NOT SDHC) card you need to be sure that the V3UPDATE.BIN file is located inside that 1GB address range. The surest way of doing that is a freshly formatted SD card with ONLY the V3UPDATE.BIN file on it.

Quote:
2: I use windows XP on my home computer and I use a program called Powerdesk as a file manager. Currently it is a simple matter of dragging and dropping files to add books to my BeBook. Once I put OI on my BeBook will I still be able to do things this way or will I need special software on my computer?
No, it is not quite that simple. You can load books into OpenInkpot using an SD card, or you can install software on your XP computer to access OpenInkpot via SSH. I use a free open source program called WinSCP to access the internal memory on my BeBook and to load books with the simple drag and drop interface WinSCP provides.

Quote:
3: What is currently the best format for use with OI? By best I suppose I mean most stable and with the most choice for font size and type.
OpenInkpot uses FBReader and CoolReader to view books, and you can find the list of supported formats on the OpenInkpot site. I use primarily FB2 and EPUB as my book reading formats. I only use FBReader as the book reader in OpenInkpot and font size is very easy to select with it. You can either pick a point size from a menu or use the +/- keys on the right side of the BeBook. You can install your own custom fonts if you like, but I have never bothered.

Quote:
4: Anything else I should be aware of or I should read up on before trying out OI?
Why not just try it out for yourself? It is NOT a one way street. If you find it does not suit you then just reinstall your BeBook firmware OR any other Hanlin compatible firmware. Firmware installation is very simple 5 minute job. As far as being aware of OI caveats, you should probably stick to the well documented March or May snapshots because you are currently on your own learning to use the later snapshots.