View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I have been seduced by the Dark Side

I've owned a few Sony eInk readers in the past, but for my eyes, I never liked the low contrast. In recent years, I've been reading on either my phone or tablet.

Recently, when Radio Shack was blowing out those Nook Simple Touch readers for $20, I thought I'd get one to see if the eInk screens has improved. Although the Simple Touch is a very nice reader, it doesn't appear to me that the screen contrast is any better than the last Sony Reader I had. I didn't feel too bad, having only spent $20. I gave the Nook to a friend and he thinks it's great.

After reading reviews for both the Simple Touch w/Glowlight and the Kindle Paperwhite, it seems that the Paperwhite takes the prize for screen readability. So, I headed up to Best Buy and joined the Dark Side

I have all along resisted joining the Kindle ecosystem, preferring to stay with epub. I have taken advantage of the Kindle freebies, however. I have both Aldiko and Kindle apps on my phone and tablet.

Even with all of my reservations about ebook formats, I will say that the Paperwhite is the best eInk reader I've ever seen. With the front light adjusted to suit the ambient conditions, I find the Paperwhite very readable, and the matt screen isn't as reflective as my phone or tablet.

I still prefer epub and will purchase that format when I need to buy. I have found that dropping an epub onto the command-line tool kindlegen produces a Kindle ebook that is essentially the same format as the original epub. It is an extra step to convert, but is not too big a nuisance.

So, although I really like the Paperwhite, I will still resist going completely over to the Dark Side by not purchasing Kindle books. And I have recently learned that the latest Kindle book format is just a binary conversion of an epub. So, even though Amazon is embracing epub as a better format, they continue to make it proprietary.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote