View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
No, because none of the multifunction devices are focusing on "being the best possible ebook reader" in addition to their multifunction purposes. Some have focused on "being a good-enough ebook reader," but smartphones & the iPad don't have good storage & sorting options for ebook libraries. (May be lacking other traits as well; I'm unclear on exactly how they work. I know I've never heard anyone talk about the 325 ebooks they keep on their phone, and the iPad is awful for ebooks from multiple sources--there is no mixed-format ebook library.)

Computers eventually totally eclipsed typewriters. (There are still typewriters. There are still *manual* typewriters. But nobody thinks they're a viable part of modern secretarial work in the US.) And digital cameras have pretty much wiped out the film-based versions. (In 1st world countries. I've got no idea what they're doing in parts of India & China.)

However, movies have not eliminated stage plays; recorded music has not destroyed live performances; television didn't end radio; cellphones haven't wiped out landlines; wireless hasn't eliminated cables; SUVs have not eliminated the market for small compact cars.

The idea of "here's a device that does everything that one does, and more" is a valid concern for replacement--but most devices that are so hyped, are lying. They don't do "everything" the single-purpose device does; they do basic functions well enough that most people would rather have multipurpose than the extra specific features.

There will always be people who prefer the limited-function but optimized device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote