Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
There *might* be an alternative: re-apply the jailbreak as described here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
It still supports a /mnt/us/runme.sh.

You could probably create a runme.sh which simply replaces the init.xargs with a pristine copy, and removes the gui_restarts thingy. (It would be a subset of the commands in my above post). I haven't tested this, though.

Either way, I strongly recommend installing the SSH-enabled diags partition as soon as you can, as it's a real lifesaver. I de-bricked my device in 5 minutes with it...
Ok, I'll have to try that. In fact, my new RUNME.sh:

test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
# The following set of commands will be executed (in the context of your Kindle) exactly once. To make them execute again, remove RUNME.done
#
# (mntroot rw and mntroot ro below are only shown for convenience, and not needed for this particular script. These commands allow
# to modify the internal file system. Use only if you know what you are doing. Oh well, you should have only ended up needing this advice
# if you knew what you were doing in the first place.*;-)
mntroot rw
showlog > /mnt/us/log.txt
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
cp /mnt/us/init.xargs /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/init.xargs
mntroot ro

I checked my mac terminal history & luckily init.xargs vi window contents are still there (ah, just realised you actually posted that anyway, thanks) so I made a new file of that & copied it to the mounted Kindle.

I'll go & get a (stiff) drink now, then maybe have another go with your mod'

Actually, perhaps better to do that SSH enabled diags first!

Thank you for your speedy response ixtab, Mayan Goddess is watching over us
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote