View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Customising NST as Pocketbook replacement

Hi. I'm a current Pocketbook 360 owner, who is looking at upgrading. Whilst I like the software interface of the Pocketbook (principally FBReader and hierarchical/directory-based library), I'm aware that Pocketbook's hardware is lagging behind (even the new 612), and isn't even close to being competitively priced.

I'm therefore looking at the possibility of rooting a NST to offer a similar software experience on updated hardware. I'm outside the US, and will be making no use of the B&N bookstore, but will rather be using DRM-free epubs on a microSD.

I therefore have a few questions:
  1. How does Nook's default reader compare to FBReader? Does it allow adding fonts and/or overriding (often idiosyncratic) CSS-settings for a consistent user-defined reading experience?
  2. How compatible is (Android) FBReader with the NST?
  3. Is there a suitable hierarchical/directory-based library/fire-manager available for Android? (I really don't want to have everything in a single directory, and then having to muck about trying to sort everything back out to authors and series again with Nook's 'shelves' -- dealkiller.)
  4. Is it possible to have this alternative library/fire-manager come up by default (rather than the default Nook Home Screen or Library, and having to navigate to it from them)?

I've also got a few questions on the rooting process:
  1. If I don't intend ever using B&N's bookstore, is there any need to register my Nook before rooting, as many (all?) guides state I have to?
  2. Is it possible to root a NST without Wifi? (I don't current have it, or a need for it, and purchasing, and setting up, the hardware for it, simply to root an eReader, seems excessive).
  3. Given that I'm only wanting to add a very limited number of Apps, is there any way of doing this as part of the initial root, as opposed to setting up the various App markets, and downloading the Apps off them?

Finally, are there any alternatives/issues I should be looking at, that I haven't brought up?

Thanks.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote