View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
David, I seem to recall that these free editions you mention are limited-time promotions.

I would also mention that there are some good book bloggers around that publish reviews, have followings, and seem willing to look at new authors. I'm thinking of Breeni Books and Linus's Blanket, which I happen to be familiar with, but I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of others. This might be another avenue for promotion.

Finally, speaking as a reader, I wouldn't avoid buying a book that seemed interesting because it cost .99, or even 9.99. I'm not sure the free promotions (which to my observation are often book 1 of a series, to try to entice readers to buy into the series) are that big of a factor.

In fact....I just bought yours. Q.E.D.

KindleDude,

First, thanks for picking up my book. I hope you enjoy it. You're right, people who have Kindles don't seem to mind spending anything up to $9.99, but I still feel it is unfair for Traditional Publishers to be able to have this advantage over Independents. I don't mind giving my book away for free, but I would like those free books to count towards my stats, or, if not, I would like amazon to exclude the books from the TPs so that the ranking system reflects the popularity of the books...and not some scam.

Even if this stunt is only temporary, I think ALL authors should be allowed to take advantage of this.

And thanks for the review sites...I will definitely check them out. I know reviews are important but so far I only have reader reviews from amazon. I can't believe how much work it is once you have all the writing done...reviews, forums, stats, promotions, contests, contacts, planning and writing the sequel, painting the new cover (yes I do my own artwork), mailing books and info....it's a lot more work than the actual writing.
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote