View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It could be extremely useful for magazines. There are a number we subscribe to that use color images to great effect, including National Geographic, Scientific American, Bead & Button, MAKE, etc. I imagine more "popular" magazines like People or whatever would attract more digital edition readers on a color eink device as well.
Exactly my thoughts. In certain areas (art, travelogues, personalities, sexuality, etc), color makes the difference.

Now, imagine a young woman who is enamored with a certain TV-star Hottie, and collects every picture and article she can find from her fave pop and TV magazines. You have the perfect person to download digital mags, "clip" her man's pics and articles, and save it in her scrapbook to swoon over in private (or with her girlfriends-- Eeeeee!).

Now imagine a young man, seriously into African animals, clipping and saving pics and articles about the Great Beasts.

Imagine the adult with a walls-spanning collection of magazines, who'd love to distill that down to collections of their most desired articles in a digital folder, to take with them everywhere, and discard the rest.

And finally, the male adult (or almost-adult) who's into (what else?) girls, and collects pictures of actresses, models and nudes from any source he can get his hands on, so he can carry them around anywhere.

You've just imagined four sorts of people who, if they knew a device would allow them to do this, would pay twice the price of a Kindle for it.

Actually, one of our members mentioned the Zinio reader to me, which I've been checking out. It's a flash-based offline magazine reader for PCs, has a lot of magazines available as individual issues and subscriptions, and some of them can be printed to PDF, allowing you to potentially save individual pages, or the entire mag, and even print them out.

It is close to what I'm envisioning for the "scrapbook" app, with the exception that the user should be able to select parts of a page, not the entire page... and that they should not be limited (by the mag's publisher) in what they can select or clip... and the app should allow them to organize their "clippings" in custom folders.

I predict that few adults, adolescents or children would be able to resist such a device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote