View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #55
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Am I alone in seeing a fundamental contradiction between claiming to believe in the idea of free speech, and punishing anyone who says something that you disagree with?

If you believe that someone's views are wrong, engage in reasoned dialogue with them and show them why they should change their views.
It's a difficult line I will admit - how would those of us who want to exercise our right to financially penalise Mr Card for his views feel if he wanted to penalise us for our views by not selling his books to us, for example*. Ideally, I agree that dialogue is probably very useful, but if I want to do something now because my feelings are such that I have to register my disapprobation, then personally boycotting his products, and even seeking to persuade others to do the same, seems to me to be a freedom as central and essential as Mr Card's freedom of expression. Sometimes you just have to suck up the contradictions!

*Personally I could not care less about Orson Scott Card's books, but you get the point.