View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #49
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me it would be, yes. Voltaire is supposed to have said (but actually didn't) "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". It's the right to say unpopular things that need defending; if you're saying "I'm going to punish you for what you say" then you're effectively suppressing the right to free speech, in my view.
That's giving too much power to the bigots and the fascists - the freedom of speech is not freedom from the consequences of speech.

I absolutely defend Mr. Card's right to say and publish whatever he wishes. I also absolutely defend the rights of those who disagree with him.

You apparently want to defend the right of bigotry, but not the right to disagree with bigotry. So who is now trampling on free speech rights?

Once again, the only person on this thread who has expressed the desire for anyone to shut up is you.