View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
There's an Android app that lets you browse your Calibre library if you have Calibre on your PC run the content server. It's probably confusing because the app is called Calibre Library for some reason. That's what I'm doing.

Calibre has its own file structure for storing ebook data on the PC - it's set to use the meta-data to name these (located in \user\login name \Calibre Library. There is (at least one) folder for each author in your library with sub-folders within for ebooks and covers. I spent an afternoon one day cleaning this all up because there were folders with authors' first name first and others with last name first and various variations of some authors names along with duplicated content. You control the structure (if you wish to change the default) by going to Calibre's preferences panel then Import/Export and finally Saving books to disk and working with a save template. The current default is:
{author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors} with the / meaning sub-directory and the names within the curly brackets are variables whose contents are used to populate the template and create the folders and files within.

The Calibre Library Android app lets you specify where it should store content/ebooks you retrieve through it. Android's Kindle app, which I prefer for reading, wants books stored in the /mnt/sdcard/kindle folder - and does not seem to read sub-folders. The Calibre Library Android app is mirroring the author-name/title/ebook.mobi structure when it copies the books to the device. The author of the Calibre Library Android app is however working on a change to just copy to a flat file system (/mnt/sdcard/kindle/ebook.mobi, for example. It may take a little time because he's coping with some other issues in his personal life but I'm so pleased he would step up and offer to code up a fix for this issue that might be a preference a user would choose in his app. It's not strictly his issue but he understands it and isn't afraid to dig in and work on a solution to a real-world practical problem. The alternative is for me to go back to searching out and copying *.mobi files over to the Xoom with a USB cable, Fred-Flintstone-style, if you get the reference.

Hope this explains the issue and that the other software author doesn't mind me talking about our sidebar conversation.

Rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote