View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Now I took a look at these stolen books. The formatting was a big mess. I mean really, really bad! One of them had the title from the top of the page inserted randomly in between paragraphs. The other had some words that were spelled one letter at a time down the left side of page. I suppose if a person were desperate enough they could read them like this but it was quite unpleasant.
I'd bet the books were first scanned, then OCR'd and converted to MS-Word automatically. Then, maybe, the person who did that edited the .doc adding all sorts of garbage which he/she thought "looked nice", like coloured headers, the logo of some scanning group as a watermark, lots of blank lines and spaces to align text, funky fonts (and Comic Sans titles, of course), etc.; all of this formatted for an A4- or letter-sized page. Then created a PDF using a pirated version of Adobe Acrobat and thought it was great. Another person thought he/she would do humankind a great favour and created a Kindle version... by just feeding the PDF to Calibre and hitting "convert", hey that was easy! And now he/she added the new ebook to his/her collection of 150000 free ebooks
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote