View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #56
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
You're correct about the different horizontal and vertical thickness of fonts but when thickening a font by 3-6 (which is usually more than enough) it is not necessary to use different horizontal and vertical values because the thickening is applied proportional. But there is nothing wrong to find optimal values but it is very time consuming.

I've converted some .otf fonts to .ttf and got pretty awful results when using FontLab Studio. Characters had different heights, overshoot and strange TT curves.
I tried all different FontLab TT settings but without a satisfying result.

I finally solved it by downloading the free TypeLight 3.2 and "recode" or "reconvert" my FontLab generated .ttf files. The final result was excellent.

In TypeLight:
  • open the font file (.otf or .tff; in my case a .ttf file)
  • Menu: Global > convert to TT curves
  • Menu: Font > Metrics > Advanced > Calculate automatically > Ok > Ok
  • Menu: Font > Font Options > include horizontal metrics (this step is probably not necessary.)
  • save the font

This worked for me, uppercase and lowercase characters had the same height, the strange overshoots and strange curves were also gone.

BTW. ttf fonts seems to appear slightly darker (less grayish) than .otf fonts. Probably because of a different anti-aliasing algoritm. If your source font is a otf file try to convert it to ttf first and see how it looks on the reader. If the result is unsatisfying then start thickening the font.
Thanks for the advice. You don't thicken the fonts in TypeLight, do you? Just convert? I have Glyphs for Mac which I've used with great success to convert before, and digging around recently I also found a nice scaling feature that has allowed me to resize fonts nicely. All that's left is the thickening part and I'm finding FontCreator to be a little rough in that area, although I may be missing something that allows me to smooth things out a bit.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote