View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I think this is turning more and more into a 2 horse race. The others, maybe with the exception of Microsoft, don't have a prayer to make a dent in the market. And even Microsoft may be coming too late to the party.

I think it will be very difficult to dislodge both Android and Apple from the top 2 positions. For one, Android has the advantage of being open source, and it is found in more and more markets (phones, tablets, eReaders, cars, GPS, and more to come, like house appliances), whereas Apple has the brand name, though I think it's starting to lose its shine.

Although the tablet market is still in it's infancy, I think it's too late for Microsoft, they may carve a niche for themselves in the corporate world (maybe taking RIM's market share), but I don't see them making it big in the consumer market. For other areas (eReaders, GPS, ...), Microsoft holds no advantages over Android.
As long as Apple and Google can continue to innovate and supply quality products and compete on price, they'll be hard to dislodge. Grrrr, I sound like some empty-headed CEO, don't I? (Lets be proactive and work like a team, people!)

But something tells me that Win8 could still be huge in the mobile market. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The trick for Apple and Google is to be able to recognize the next disruptive technology and jump on it before upstart companies can. Even if by doing that you are somehow temporarily tramping on your existing business model. (I.e., it would have been easy for Apple to decide against producing a phone because it would eat into their iPod business (which it has), or to avoid producing a tablet because it would eat into their laptop market (which it probably also has, to a lesser degree.)
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Including people who don't think that the next development - which may be a slug that you put in your ear and that crawls to your brain and acts as a phone that you can access with your thoughts - will be better than touchscreen phones.
Um, no way in hell I'm buying that.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Mozilla's Boot2Gecko project?

Last edited by VaporPunk; 04-07-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Grammars
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote