View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Yes, I know republished doesn't necessarily mean that the copyright is renewed. I meant that it wasn't an obscure, half-forgotten short story, so you'd think the copyright wouldn't have been allowed to lapse.

It's all weird and confusing. But I guess can make myself a nice clean ePub with a clean conscience
All of science fiction was pretty much obscure, niche-market stories. Even today, science fiction is considered not-really-literature in a lot of places.

And prolific authors who didn't keep extensive records of what they published where, were likely to not update the copyright; the copyright office didn't send out "your copyright is about to expire!" notices. Besides, how much income would Asimov expect to make, in 1968, on a story he published in 1941?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote