View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #94
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We concentrate on "page turning" because it represents, by far, the main interaction (and almost only interaction, depending on the individual reader) with the device.
This is why I phrased it as "while we tend to concentrate on page-turning".

I'm against doing away with buttons altogether. A good device should have dedicated page turn buttons as well as the touch interface.

When you say that you've 'tried' various touch devices, have you actually owned one? I ask, because I felt the same way as you do now before I bought my Sony. I wasn't noticeably impressed by the touch interface in the shop, and was perfectly satisfied with my Bookeen and Elonex which had excellent button-driven interfaces.

But after using the Sony in practice once I got it home I was in no doubt whatsoever that it was far easier and more intuitive to use.

Obviously everyone's mileage may vary, and you've got every right to love buttons and hate touchscreens, but I suspect that you'll get a hybrid machine in due course (as that seems to be the way the market is heading) and will find that the touch interface isn't as painful as you think.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote