View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #114
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@drMerry - 18,000? Sigh. You wouldn't try to convert 18,000 books at once - Extract ISBN is doing a lot of the same steps underneath so I am not surprised it died. I cannot update ISBNs from the background as the database updates are single threaded, that is why it works the same way as metadata downloads in 0.8. Trying to "resume" a job after a Calibre crash is way more work than I can be bothered with to be honest, I would rather just not have it crash in the first place.

Did you see memory usage climbing before it crashed? The most likely explanation is a memory leak somewhere.
I love to look at (over) the edge of possibilities.
And of-course you should want to convert / run it in small parts, but if I had, this leak would not be noticed at this point .
I did not check the mem, but I see you did it.

A (rather easy?) way to 'catch' this error (partly) would be to do the following:
Create a silent-run function. This function would run a scan and silently apply changes.
You than could use this function to create your own batch, and have a list of files todo whom you run in batches of 100, 1000, user-selected number of files at once. After each batch, apply changes, remove files from todo.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote