View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
brendanl79
brendanl79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage x2, Onyx BOOX Note 3
I have both Aldiko and FBReader on my Motorola DROID; they are both 'almost perfect' so I switch between the two.

Both are very responsive for actual reading, which is the most important part, and are almost equally customizable. Their respective bookshelf/library functions have different minor annoyances.

FBReader's easy one-step import (copy books into /sdcard/Books) has a cost: it regenerates the library data every time you call up that screen, and the delay can be unbearable as your library approaches 50-100 books or so. Also it is silly that it can't sort by title.

Aldiko makes you copy your books to an import directory, then press the "Import" button inside the program. A little more cumbersome, but it allows Aldiko to rely on its internal database rather than the much slower filesystem scan that FBReader must do, which means Aldiko's bookshelf loads almost instantly, even though it has all that graphical frou-frou. :-)

I don't really care about being able to browse and get/buy books from within my mobile reading app, but for what it's worth they can both do this now (FBReader as of very recently).

Since FBReader is open source I've been working on a patch so that the library rebuild will only happen when the user requests it. This should make the bookshelf screen load very quickly. Then I just have to add sort-by-title and FBReader will be perfect, then I won't need Aldiko anymore! :-D
brendanl79 is offline   Reply With Quote