View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Proust, Marcel: Swann's Way (Vol. 1) - Remembrance. v1, 08 Sept 2008

This novel, in 6 different parts, came from the University of Adelaide and is released under a Creative Commons License. Their website is listed below:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/

In my opinion, Remembrance Of Things Past is one of the most important novels of the Twentieth Century.

Remembrance of Things Past touches upon universal themes of Jealousy, Time, Writing, Personality, Memory, and more.

Glossing Over Some Publication History:
This is the Scott Moncrief translation. There are a number of translations out there and this translation has been amended and parts retranslated. Later, a more definitive text, the Pléiade edition, appeared. (NOTE: I’m currently re-reading the entire novel – now more correctly titled In Search Of Lost Time - in the definitive Pléiade edition in English and published by Modern Library. The entire series of volumes is currently on sale from Sony, by the way, which is the edition I’m currently re-reading.)

Some background on why I love Proust:
I read this novel when I was a smart-mouthed kid in my early twenties (always ready to pick intellectual arguments because I was stupid like most kids of that age), and hot on the trail of reading all the work I could locate by nouveau roman novelists Claude Simon, Michel Butor, and Alain Robbe-Grillet [in English translations], and how they played with the concept of Time and Historicism in their work. I see now that my intelleuctual pursuits were very simple, but at that time I found myself fascinated by the use of the present participial verb, and how it seemingly both controlled and destroyed Time in the Novel. (Claude Simon, in particular, I found astounding, especially in his early Faulknerian-influenced writing. This man was literally in the process of writing a new Poetics of the Novel to create his fictional universe. I then realized how important the dialogic voice in fiction can be in both controlling and manipulating the text.

Later, as I worked on my Ph.D. in English [not completed], I found myself deeply engaged in the study of Postmodern novels, most notably in the writings of William Gaddis and Don DeLillo. Always at the core, however, there resided Proust….well, ok, I’ve gone on long enough about this.

I can only say this: READ PROUST. HE MAY CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

NOTE: Patricia has two titles available, also from Remembrance of Things Past. I want to thank her for making them available. Now…..where is the novel Jean Santeuil????

I worked on "assembling" this novel from 9:00 this morning 'til 3:00

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote