View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
OK, then so be it

Can you try to *manually* overwrite the diags partition using the commands (and the file) from the update.bin, and check if it keeps happening afterwards? (or... even better: compare the md5sums of the diags partition "before" and "after") ?

I have always been suspicious of whether the update.bin *really* worked the way that it should (it goes through just a bit too fast for my personal taste, so *maybe* it's actually not doing what it should do.) - then again, it always worked correctly on my device, and geekmaster confirmed that it worked smoothly on "demo K5 devices"...
OK, so I just had a conversation via PM with someone who had the exact same problem (SSH not working after using update.bin) Turns out that extracting it, and manually executing the run.ffs works exactly as it should.

Now... why on earth does it not work from the update.bin? The dd command gets executed (and yes, I have verified that it changes at least something on the diags partition, by creating a test file in diags, running the update.bin [which doesn't contain that file], and verifying that the file was gone afterwards), and runs for about 5 seconds (only).

So, first question is: how can that be? It seems like it is killed by something. I'm not too familiar with these "policy" things, but could it be that something like a ulimit/something similar is set, which would kill a process after some time? And... if so, my understanding is that the diags partition should actually be a complete mess, with a broken FS. But it seems to be just fine, even with an "aborted" dd. WTF is going on here?

EDIT: just for completeness, and to make things even stranger: while the dd runs through too fast (5 secs, where it should really take something like 10 or 20), which makes me think that it gets aborted, it still returns a 0 exit code.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote