View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #40
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
You can do that today if you want. Just use the goto function. You'll get a menu with something like: Goto page .... of 1250. You will have a broad idea were you are from the indicator. So if you are about halfway and you want to skip a part of your book simply jump to 800. If it is to far jump to 700. Not far enough? Jump to 750. To far? Jump to 725. The next jump will bring you within a dozen pages of the correct place. On the avarage you'll have to go forwards or backwards 6 times.

Some people, like me, read more than one book. From the library you can select the correct one. It will always bring me to the last reading position. I never lost a last read or a bookmark before.
You can, but not quickly. The goto page number is buried a bit. Furthermore, you end up needing to do the math and remember your original start/stop points. Its not super difficult, but I'd say its like the difference between dialup and broadband. Sure you can get to the entire net using dialup, but its much easier and faster via broadband.

In regard to reading more than one book. I do understand. The problem for me is that I like to keep my entire library on the Cybook. I don't really want to have to continually sync it. In a way, its like your comment about reading more than one book. I don't just want to pick the 20 books I have to carry around. In fact, I only go back to my computer every couple weeks or so. Anyway, I don't know if you have seen the start up time when you have a couple of hundred books, but it takes quite a while.

I think back to my old days of reading on a PDA. I could instantly turn it on and begin reading. Again, I return to my dialup/broadband comparision. Remember how long it took for your dialup connection to dial, connect, handshake, and send down the first page. Compare it to the instant on of broadband; that's what I want.

I quite understand that all of us will have different styles of reading. However, although I am quite pleased in many ways with my Cybook the effort to read is quite a hassle. I turn it on and wait for a while for it to load. I cross my fingers that it will actually load. I may have to page through 20 pages to find my book if it doesn't remember my spot in the library. Then I open the book. If it forgot my place, I have to go through the search to get back to the book.

The software really must improve.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote