View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Hasn't ever happened, worst I've seen is after a long string of books by the same author I may need to switch authors for a bit...
I have burned out on authors because they start becoming repititious as though they have run out of ideas. David Eddings was one. Even though I loved the dry humor of his characters, it wore thin after a while. After I finished his last series, I vowed to never read any more of his books because the last few essentially had the same plot (still, it's a pity he passed away a couple of years ago).

I also burned out on Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Again, the plots were becoming too similar.

Same for Brian Jacques Redwall series. Every book I read was practically a clone of the previous ones.

I've one more book to go in Steven Donaldson's latest (and, hopefully, last) Thomas Covenant series (afik, it hasn't come out yet). I read one of his other books in a different genre and the plot still generally followed the same line his others I read have so the last book of the current series will be my last of his.

The only reason I'm still reading Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series is I've gone far enough to want to see the conclusion but it has been milked to death. Even if Jordon hadn't passed away, this series would have been the last of anything of his I would have read (all three of his Fallon books, written under another name, had similar plots).

I may burn out on certain authors but there are plenty more so burn out from reading in general is not likely to ever happen.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote