View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm a software developer, and I think software patents are stupid. So do most other developers that I've asked.

Yet another example of perverting an idea beyond it's original intent in order to fuel corporate greed.

Patents and copyright are both in serious need of reform. Unfortunately, those with the power to do so are the ones that perverted them in the first place.
Absolutely agreed.

The current patent system (particularly in the US) is now used routinely by large encumbent organisations to squash smaller competitors such as startups. A (completely unjustified) patent lawsuit from a large company can quite easily put a startup with superior technology out of business. It doesn't matter whether or not the startup is actually infringing the patent - frequently the startup will not have funds to fight the case, and will simply fold.

Patent trolls are also a major problem (for large and small companies alike, though any such problem is inherently more serious for a smaller company).

The patent system now severly limits innovation, and needs an overhaul.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote