View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not necessarily, you the last "point of edit" could be stored with the Sigil preferences, along with the list of recent files. Most readers store the current position of the books you're reading without touching the original .epub file, after all.
Yes, that's one of the ways of doing it. AFAIK there are three places where an application can add the "point of edit" info:
  1. In the document itself (like what Word does with DOCX)
  2. In a separate document that "goes along" with the original document (like what Visual Studio does, storing this not inside source files, but accompanying project files)
  3. In a "settings database", using document identifiers to automatically link per-document info and the document.
I reject option 1 on principle. Option 2 is just unwieldy and overkill for this use-case. Option 3 is... inelegant, but something I could theoretically live with. Of course, it would bring with it a whole set of other problems and honestly, I don't think the feature itself brings enough to the table to warrant the complexity. At least not right now.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote