Thread: Hello world
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
Just to say Hi from the UK. I am trying to find out as much as I can about ebooks and how to create them.

Here in the UK we are still pretty limited, no Sony reader yet and an iliad costs £450. The libraries for ebooks in the UK are thin on the ground too. I have tried I-cue on the mobile though which has a growing list.

I work for a publisher and most of the content is created on Mac OS but nearly all conversion software is Windows based. Is nobody working on Macs?

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Welcome to our vocal, opinionated group. I think you can learn a lot here.

I don't have a Mac or, in general, create my own books (aside from converting some .rtf or .doc files to .pdf).

When you talk about 'libraries', do you mean public libraries? The local iibrary I use in Cleveland (Ohio, not in the UK) has thousands of e-books and audiobooks available. I'm not certain how you promote this as a publisher, but in the US I think this is one of the fastest growth area for libraries. See the e-media area at www.cpl.org or the downloadables area at http://cuyahogalibrary.org/ for an idea of what is available. The primary reason I wanted Mobipocket availability on the Iliad is that is what the library uses to secure their books.

Welcome. Have fund. Ask questions. You will get 8 opinions from 6 respondents because at least 2 people will change their mind.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote