Thread: iLiad Ruby 1.8.5 for iLiad
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Interesting backgound stuff!

But it's still unaccaptable if one preinstall script deletes the symlinks created by another preinstall script. The symlinks should only be created if not present. Example: if I release a package to install Lua, and install it from /mnt/free, it would remove the symlink to the cf card, and break the Ruby package and all programs that use Ruby.

What can we do about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
But as the iLiad OS project evolves, maybe we can re-partition the root file system in some time to give / some more space to hold user apps. But that has to be seen.
Is the iLiad OS project still alive? It has been extremely quiet for some time... Anyhow, I've added some info in the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Application_Packaging Feel free to expand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
To be honest, I seldom use installable package for iLiad, although it's convenient. I fear that it will make some unwanted modification to my system. Since I don't know what the installable package does, I have to spend some time to figure out what happens and its cause.
I agree! I would never install a package without knowing what it really does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Personally, I don't like to install anything to iLiad root file system, because it's not convenient to maintan with iLiad's input/output facility. Unless I have to replace/modify some files in root file system, I always put apps in MMC.
One reason to install stuff in the internal flash is that it is available at boot time (cf, mmc and usb are mounted later). I'm currently playing with Lua scripts that I want to run from start.sh... Maybe I shoul refrain from installing in /usr/local (linked to /mnt/free/local)? and install directly in /mnt/free?

Another reason te install in internal flash is the problems involving wifi when accesssing cf. I can solve that by buying a mmc card... B.t.w. Is there still a problem with Wifi and CF in 2.12? I never testetd this myself...

Last edited by hansel; 01-12-2009 at 08:22 AM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote