View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanbou View Post
I decided to reply to this topic as it already adresses a key point for me, the Kobo dictionary. I read an old thread where people said that the dictionary and highlighting wouldn't work with non-Kobo books. Is this still true?
That changed in a firmware release over a year ago. The dictionary works fine with sideloaded epubs.
Quote:
And what about the web browsers? My primary use for them would be to fetch a Google image for a word absent from the dictionary or one I couldn't grasp the meaning from the dictionary entry (btw, I did this a lot while reading A Song of Ice and Fire on my iPad, great way to learn clothing, food and castle vocabulary).
For the Kobo, there isn't a connection to the browser from the book or dictionary. You need to leave the book, open the browser and do search. The browser works fairly well for sites without flash and the like. Google search is good and sites like Wikipedia display well.
Quote:
Testing the Kobo Touch at the store I found it page turning and the dictionary lookup quite slow (although I'm used to the iPad, that must bias me). Is the Kindle slower or faster?
I think it is a comparison with the iPad. But, there has been a firmware version where the page turning was very slow. That is fixed now.

Looking up a word has a delay at the start to allow the device to differentiate between tapping to change pages and pressing to select a word. After that, it doesn't seem to be slow.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote