View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #257
comodin
comodin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
aaargh.
I read, trying to understand at my best, every single thread or link, and when it seems I get to understand what problem my KT has and how to deal with it, something goes wrong.
If anyone has any suggestions, please, don't hesitate to write. I know I'm yet another idiot with an issue anybody can fix, but I'm really struggling here....

so:

my brand new KT after a week of usage (no jailbreak, came with latest firmware so no updates) decides to not turn on. after leaving it on charge overnight (wall socket) an playing a bit with the power button (didn't know yet about the magic one) it managed to start again with my whole collection and no faults nor lagging.
After three days during which I left it on, no charging (I'm used to do it with my Macbook Air) but not using it neither, it didn't want to turn on even when connected to a power source. Played a bit with the power button, didn't manage to get it started until the green led blinked a few times and disappeared.
From this moment on, only amber led showing.

If I leave it on charging (both usb-powered or usb wall charger), the led will disappear after a few hours. Disconnect-reconnect and amber led back again.
Nothing on the screen, none. Blank.
Ok, it's bricked.
I use OsX with Parallels VM and Win7 64bit running on top of it.
When I connect the device to the VM the first time, with no magic reboot whatsoever, win installs HID Compliant Device drivers and the VM sees a NS Blank CODEX device.
After a few seconds, the device gets disconnected.
Changed USB port, changed cable, same behavior.
I try to use the magic button, VM always recognizes NS Blank CODEX, win uses HID Compliant Drivers.
Device gets disconnected after very short time.
Amber led on even if system doesn't see the KT, so I suppose it's somehow charging it at least.
This could explain why, after several minutes in this situation, when I press the power button again (magic boot/button or not doesn't seem to make any difference), the KT manages to remain connected to VM&Win7 longer.
MFGTool sees the device during this short periods and is able to upload u-boot for fastboot.
Sometimes manages to complete the operation for diags mode but still I see nothing on the screen of the KT which, after a few seconds, drops connection again.
Note that every time I want it to get reconnected I use the magic button procedure anyway, but Win7 seems to recognize the device as soon as I release the power button without giving me time to release the magic one afterwards.
This is what Device manager in Win sees from the HID driver:
PHP Code:
HID\VID_15A2&PID_0052&REV_0001
HID
\VID_15A2&PID_0052
HID_DEVICE_UP
:FF00_U:0001
HID_DEVICE 
So I try to use libusb drivers.
If I use geekmaster's custom .inf file Win7 tells me "the file doesn't support this installation procedure" or something similar.
So I use inf-wizard.exe and manage to create a .inf file selecting the NS Blank CODEX device from the list (if it remains connected long enough for me to highlight it) which I'm able to install.
From now on Win7 sees the KT as libusb device, no more as a HID device, but I don't have any "device instance Id" option to check for.
The KT seems to be able to stay connected to the system longer now, but it eventually drops off.
If I try to use fastboot for Win while the KT is connected and seen as a libusb device, the application hangs on "waiting for device".
Tried to restart Win7 several times but always the same behavior.

I live on a small island where Internet connection is slow and unreliable, so trying to download a linux or winxp image and let it run in a VM (maybe different from Parallels) is not an option, sigh.

WTF????

Last edited by comodin; 05-29-2012 at 12:08 PM.
comodin is offline   Reply With Quote