View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
chaley, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by content server here. I assumed content server was Calibre's process for making books and information available to devices or to other PC's over the web.

I'm referring to what ends up on my device, in this case my Touch (using Stanza) . There is an information/summary page in Stanza for each book that shows the thumbnail, author, title, tags, and comment field. It does not show ISBN, dates, or some other custom metadata such as the comma separated field. But it appears it now shows all long-text custom metadata fields.

I set up two custom notes fields -- one for miscellaneous notes to myself and the other for other info such as long author interviews. Now both these fields are appearing on the summary page, and they appear before the comment field where I put the title's synopsis, so if you want to read that, you have to scroll a long ways down.

The very reason I set up a custom notes field was to segregate extraneous information such as book sources and technical conversion notes from the comments field where I had previously put them after the synopsis. I didn't want these notes to show up on my device and I wanted to also keep the comments field uncluttered. Now, having these notes show up anyway defeats that purpose and makes it even harder to quickly skim through a title's synopsis as the notes appear before the synopsis, not after as they did before I put them in the custom notes fields.

Is there not some way to tweak a Calibre file or setting to keep these custom notes from being sent to the device? Ideally, there would be an option for every custom field to decide if it gets included with the other information when sent to the device.

Alternately, could an additional option be included under custom field types? Long text that will never be sent to the device?

Also, why is it that some custom data fields and some default data like ISBN and publishing dates do not show up on the summary page on the device but all custom long text fields do? It seems somewhat arbitrary.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote