View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I'm curious as to what exactly the differences are between PDF and ePub..and forgive me if I can't quite understand why everyone seems so excited for ePub? What's so great about that format as opposed to all the others
PDF is a print-oriented, fixed-layout format. This makes it hard to change the layout of PDF documents when -- for example -- changing the page size but keeping the font size the same.

EPUB is a display-oriented, reflowable format. This makes it easy to produce an EPUB document which will display well on many different display sizes and with many different font sizes.

People are excited about EPUB in particular over other reflowable e-book formats because it's the first (a) open e-book standard (b) based on existing specifications (XHTML, etc.) (c) with actual industry support. Well, that's why I'm excited about it anyway .

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote