View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #295
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
If file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS exists, KT uses fonts with families/typefaces:
  • alternate1, alternate2, alternate3 (for firmwares up to 5.1.0)
  • all found (except some stock) (for 5.1.0)
I don't know whether restart of whole framework is needed to handle this file (or it's abscence) or just restart of reader booklet is sufficient, but believe former is true.

Also starting from 5.1.0, stock fontconfig configuration includes file /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf (with ignore_missing=yes). Include is defined in /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-lab126-altfonts.conf. There are also: rewriting of font families of example fonts to alternateX, making of /mnt/us/fonts directory visible to fc-cache and some alias/prefer directives (which, I think, are for overriding system fonts) in that configuration file.

Fonts used by KT with the help of this mechanism are displayed in Aa dialog in standard reader.

Hope, it will useful in some way. Remember about fc-cache (/usr/bin/fc-cache.sh is more suited) and check for proper handling of new and removing of stale fonts from cache. Otherwise, framework can crash on invoking Aa dialog.

UPD but, honestly, it's partially old news

UPD2 and /usr/bin/fc-cache.sh could be invoked with ;fc-cache debug command (shoud be entered in search bar). So with knowledge of fontconfig configuration syntax, it's possible to add new fonts without jailbreak.

UPD3 /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf isn't processed, at least at 5.1.0 (include is really defined, but it's value contains newlines at start and end, so defined file isn't found). However, as /mnt/us/fonts is defined as font directory, any font file in this directory is automatically catched by fontconfig.
I am a noob and just got my KT fonthacked using this method. Put several fonts in the fonts folder and type ;fc-cache, then I can change font while reading quite easily. Very straightforward.
But I got one question in my mind. Do I have to jailbreak my KT for this method to be working? I jailbroke my KT before fonthacking, of course. I thought it is the default procedure.
Can anyone give a hint? If so, I am intending to do it again without jailbreaking. At the moment, there seems to be some bugs that prevent me from restart the device properly. It will show Your Kindle Needs Repair, and I have to plug it to my computer to make it boot into system. And all fonts will be lost. Then I need to do it again.

Last edited by johnleo; 08-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote