View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Another succes story... optimized workflow?!

I confirm this. I feel like writing a bit for a change so I'll tell you my story as well : )

I already have more books than I can possibly read in my life, so my deepest interest in ebooks is getting *good* digital copies of *the good books* I've read, while I turn to the unread piles once in while if I still want something 'new'.

Most ebook versions I have found of my books are so horribly bad that I've seriously considered slowly converting them all myself (and I'll have to do that with many, unavailable otherwise). With so many books, making any workflow as efficient as possible is a must:

Obviously the first rational step is to read the digital versions and keep a hard copy handy to read form them and make corrections (or scan missing pages!) every now and then. This alone is considerably faster than wholesale from-scratch conversion.

Now, my format of choice for digital books is properly marked up HTML (and some sort of TeX embedding when I get started with formulas I guess) because it's easiest to convert to anything else that's needed, is pretty compact, future-proof, etc. But I'll digress about that some other day. The thing is I figured it would be best to merge the reading and proof-reading processes with some kind of browser-based editor, so I programmed exactly that. This was working good for me so when I get time I want to port it to the DR1000.

The thing is, meanwhile I have started doing more and more reading+proofreading on the DR1000 and while I still plan to port my HTML viewer+editor, I realized that any such dual-mode approach is just too slow in the not-unusual-at-all case where I spot 3 typos or errors (incorrect paragraph splitting or merging, etc) or more... per page! OTOH I can't think of a full fledged HTML editor that can be run efficiently on the DRs AND looks close enough to a simple reader (i.e. looks GOOD).

So far the fastest method for reading + correcting I've worked out for my eBooks involves printing my HTML eBooks out to DR-optimized PDFs, and loading them there. Then I spend many hours filling up global.db files with little BLOBs, er... I mean drawing tiny circles around typos and such, while I read and once I'm done or tired, I fire up Xournal, and I do "import annotations only + export to PDF'. Then I can spend up to one whole evening more (yes, things can get pretty bad) correcting the text faster in an editor on a computer while reading the 'annotated pages only' PDF version on the iRex.

I hope it makes for a good success story or how-to even if there are no more improvement suggestions. (Really, suggestions, anyone?!)

Needless to say, but I'll say it too: thank you for this great port!
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote