View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Sparte View Post
Many thanks for your help!
I'm not really fond of an inline Toc honestly.
I've exported my text directly to epub and opened it with Sigil. Let's start with the good news: my toc.ncx is here and it looks complete; the html is quite messy but links in the right panel are active.
Bad news: all my first pages (title, rights, quote) are mixed in my cover.xhtml file.

For sure, I don't want those pages to show in the TOC. But I don't want them to mix together either. How should I solve that issue? Should I create different .xhtml files for title, rights and quotes? In that case, how to extract them from the TOC? Erasing code in the .ncx?

Best regards,

Hi:

I have several comments replying to things that other folks have said, as well.

Quote:
If you then save the sigil book as an epub, and send this ePub to KindlePreviewer, the toc will display on the kindle.
@Crutledge: No, it won't. The NCX only displays quasi-natively on the K4PC app, and, IIRC, the FireHD; on the K4PC app, it is restricted to a single level; if you have nested levels of TOC, it fails. On all the other millions of Kindles, the ncx will not display.

Quote:
In every single tutorial I read, people recommend to create a TOC.
Forget the tutorials; an inline TOC is actually an Amazon requirement. Moreover, if you upload your book without one, and anyone complains--anyone at all--Amazon will remove the book from sale and require you to "fix" it. I'm not regurgitating urban myth here; we've had to redo 3 books this year in which authors from prior years who'd insisted on "no TOC" had to come back to us when their books were removed from sale. Just so you know.

If you don't want something to show in the NCX, simply remove it. You can uncheck it during the "create toc" process, or you can edit the NCX and remove it manually. Either way is pretty painless.

If you're that opposed to a long TOC, simply make a short one (Title, Start Reading) and hope that it flies. Do not confuse and conflate the NCX, which provides useful information to the reader (% complete, and the like), with the inline TOC, which is useful but not part of the device's own navigation. Also, be advised that Amazon routinely puts the Start Reading Location--no matter WHERE you've coded it to begin--at the first "page" past the TOC.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote