View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
After finishing the first book I was going to start the second one and heard it was also very well written. But after learning about how long this series is taken, I decided to stop before I become too emotionally attached.

Seems like the author has been doing a lot of traveling and that finishing this series isn't on his priority list. I've read that he predicted book 5 to be out in 2006 than 2008. Well it's now 2010..... Perhaps he got irked that the publishers forced him to split up the 4th and 5th books.
Haha, I kind of wish I'd heeded such advice before I started them. Typically, in huge epic fantasy series, I find myself tuning out at parts and pushing myself through until something interesting happens. With the Song of Ice and Fire series, I didn't get that at all, I was intrigued through the whole of the series (well, admittedly, the last one dragged a bit for me in places).

I seem to recall GRRM having a note at the end of #4 that he split it up into two books so that his fans would at least have something. That may have been a little white lie on his part and it could have been his publisher laying the law down. In any case, he is LONG overdue, which stinks.

I'm certainly interested in reading a new series too, can anyone tell me if the series here can be compared to GRRM at all? A gripe that I've had with a lot of fantasy, is that it seems to be aimed at a younger audience, or at least a "family friendly" one. I liked that GRRM regards his readers as adults (fitting that he's being adapted for HBO of all channels). Do any of the series here follow that same kind style?

One book I read that I think falls into that category is The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a standalone novel, so doesn't technically qualify for this thread, but it's a very good read regardless.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote