View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #668
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
@JimmXinu, I actually went ahead and implemented it myself because it was something I really wanted to see for a long time. It also works flawlessly on my end, so for courageous people I'll attach it below. There was no easy and obvious way for it to work like I wanted, so I had to implement it as a device plugin that monkey-patches the built-in "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface".

There should be no problems when Calibre updates, as long as there are no not-backwards compatible changes to the API.

To install it first disconnect your Kindle, disable the built-in "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface" plugin in the "Device Interface plugins" section and then install my mod. After that simply restart Calibre.

Here is the code for anyone curious. As I said, I'm not responsible for any damages that it might cause -- I can just state that it works on my end.

And to clarify again: Using this simply allows you to keep your current reading location along with other metadata when you update a story with FFDL while using a Kindle or somehow else cause its UID to change. For example you are reading a story called "XYZ" and are currently at location ABC. Now usually when you would update the story with FFDL your current location would be reset, your highlights would disappear etc. -- using this they don't.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle 2, 3, 4, Touch Device Interface MBP Update Mod.zip (875 Bytes, 166 views)

Last edited by cryzed; 07-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.