View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
PDS:

Was your comment in response to mine about netbooks as a reader? If so read the next comment I make below and it will explain why a netbook will soon be a very competitive device for the current ereader devices in many instances. Not for everyone though...

SNC:

I actually like my N800 pretty well, and you know the reason? Well there are several, but one that I had not considered when the thing showed up is the kickstand acts as a nice wrap around hand holder. I just slide my hand between it and the N800 body and I have a very secure device I really don't need to grip to hold on to. And I can reach around with my thumb to tap the screen in order to change pages. Though, to be honest, it is still a bit awkward. I do like that FBReader can operate in portrait orientation. More like all the dedicated readers. I wish someone would try and move Kovid's Calibre to the N8x0 family running OS2008...it's beyond me to make that work but someone might give it a shot someday.

But for sure battery life is not near the eink devices. Nor will any netbook be either. But the upper end netslate/tablets using the newer low power SSD's will get near 10hrs of continuous use with wifi running, that won't be horrid. You do know they have a new gen of netbooks which are going to be convertible into a tablet/slate PC? I will be hunting the cheaper convertible devices with standard 9.5mm HDD's instead as they will be $200-$300 cheaper. From my reading those will be hitting the shelves in earnest come the end of Q3 or Q4 '09.

BTW, I was looking today and you can find oodles of Kindle 1's for well under $300 including shipping on eBay and the N800's are under $175 too. When the Astek devices using the flexible screens show up the end of the year I suspect a lot of folks with our older readers will jump in feet first if the price is right. And I suspect prices will have some pressure specifically due to the new net-tablet/slate systems in that $300-$600 price range.

I sure would not want to read on any of my laptops and a current netbook in landscape orientation is but my idea of fun at all! hehehehe...

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-11-2009 at 12:36 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote