View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The KF8 format is currently only used on the Kindle Fire and (perhaps, reported to work - but undocumented) on Kindle for PC.
It's not only purported to work on Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac (>= v 1.9.0), it does work. And the prompt that comes up asking you if want to upgrade to the latest version says as much.

Re-downloading my past purchases from my Kindle for PC archive reveals many stand-alone KF8 books. The problem is... they look like a MOBI, smell like a MOBI and act like a MOBI (because they're still in a prc container). So unless people know enough to dump the headers of the files and actually check, there's just no way to know for sure.

Which means that a very common workflow is going to result in DRM-free MOBI's being imported into calibre libraries that are, in fact, stand-alone KF8's that calibre can't view properly and can't convert to anything else.

It's going to result in some confusion for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig
KF8 files generally contain two versions of the formatted text, one for KF8 compliant readers and one for non-KF8 compliant readers. Both versions need to be tested.
That's only the version that you upload to Amazon. Amazon is splitting the MOBI-only portion from the KF8 portion and delivering the appropriate file to the various devices/apps depending on what they can support. The KF8 ebooks that are being delivered to my Kindle for PC have no fall-back format. They simply can't be viewed at all on the eInk devices (I'm talking about DRM-free versions, of course).

I agree that MOBI is still going to be the more common format for quite some time, but KF8 is no longer a "red-headed stepchild." It's out there... people just don't know it yet.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote