View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You find that with any ereader. I had to reformat several purchased ePUB's because the text only occupied the middle third of the screen on my Sony PRS-300.

Kobo is no orphan in this regard, not by a long shot.
Very true. I wouldn't expect ePubs purchased/otherwise obtained from sources that aren't official Kobo (Borders, the Kobo store etc) to look good right off the bat.

It would be nice if there was some QC on Kobo's part to make sure things from their own stores looked good on their own device though, especially since they are DRMed and you have to (maybe, ianal) break the law in order to reformat them.

Not to mention the average user would have absolutely no idea how to find the tools necessary to break DRM and probably doesn't even know that the appearance of the books can be changed. Those folks are just going to say "welp, this thing sucks, look at how bad the books look" and return it for a Kindle or whatever, this is bad for Kobo and bad for us, fans of the Kobo who want to see it succeed and become popular so we can have more nice things from them, and they can have more money to spend on development.
dos is offline   Reply With Quote