View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #29
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I know that a lot of this is subjective, but there are studies showing that CRT displays and LCD displays with fluorescent backlighting can cause eyestrain, because of the flickering (especially, but not just, in environments where background lighting was also fluorescent). I haven't seen any studies that addressed the glowing issue directly, or that tested AMOLED, or LED backed LCDs, but obviously people have that sensitivity.
Some people do. How many is very questionable as the threshold at which it becomes either noticeable or objectionable varies. I used to read on 60Hz CRT monitors. No flickering that I noticed, and little eyestrain in a reasonably well-lit room. (Seems strange that the background lighting should affect a light-generating screen, but it does-for me. Probably indicates that there are subliminal effects-but those are *very* hard to pin down since, by definition, you can't rely on the users' reports.)

Most tests are similar to benchmarking tests-they show measurable differences without determining whether or not those differences are noticeable. IOW, bragging rights rather than something I pay any attention to.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote