View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I look at a computer screen all day. My kindle is so relaxing. I tried reading books on my laptop when I was between kindles. The problem is reading to relax before going to bed. The backlit screen does something that prevents you from reading yourself to sleep. That is my favorite way to end the day. So eink for me.
The way a laptop limits your posture while reading may be part of this (neck muscle strain rather than eye strain), but I think you're right about very bright screens impacting the ability to fall asleep. I've seen studies showing a correlation between exposure to blue light and lower melatonin (the sleep hormone). That's a big part of the reason I have my reading defaults set to amber text on a black background, and it does seem to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I prefer to do most of both my casual and professional "reading" by window light (probably 50%)
Lucky you! We don't get that much natural light at this lattitude, especially this time of year. If I could only read by window light I think I'd get about 5 hours of usable time per day.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote