View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I found the Decussion on Amazon about it http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?c...Tx4SABNRC1C5C0 this explain better than me!

eschwartz
Thanks you corrected me but at least I got the 50 correct LOL
What I don't understand is HOW do you connect the PC to Ereader to do this? Great in an emergency when Eveythings out do to weather or some nut knocking out the poles!
It's called tethering, it (obviously) involves jailbreaking, and uses a hack that will not be found anywhere on MobileRead. I have no idea where to find it, nor do I want to, since it is an absolute violation of the free gift Amazon gave Kindle 3G owners. They didn't sell Kindles to provide unlimited free 3G service for peoples' computers, they sold an ereader, with the ability to use small amounts of 3G (because that's all the e-ink Kindles can handle) to generally connect to the internet when you're in a rush, because why not? It's a nice gesture that endears Amazon to their customers, hardly costs them anything, and makes the Kindle a little more useful to someone in a rush.

Imagine their surprise when they found out some highly unethical people had hacked the firmware to establish a data channel to their PC's and were using gigabytes of data left right and center? Hardly in the spirit of their original offer, and I'm sure illegal too, as they were unauthorizedly accessing a secured network for purposes other than what the owners intended; while we may own our Kindles, making jailbreaking them acceptable, we don't own the network Amazon sends it's data over.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-31-2014 at 04:13 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote